Tomorrow our story will be featured in the Life Styles section of The Greenwood Commonwealth. To say it’s difficult for me to tell our story is an understatement. I have learned that many people remember every little detail of the time their child/children spend in the NICU. I have come to realize that I’m not one of those people. I don’t remember a lot of it. I just know I cried a lot during those days…..I cried for Charlie Rogan and I cried with and for the families that were there with me.
Anyway, I have compiled a list of things you should know about my family NOW:
1. WE ARE OKAY – We have been so fortunate that Charlie Rogan came away from such a rocky beginning with only asthma.
2. I don’t take one single day with my babies for granted.
3. I try to thank God at least twice a day for blessing me with these two beautiful babies and allowing me to be their mother.
4. I believe that every preemie parent suffers some degree of post-traumatic stress syndrome, as a result of the experience.
5. To see Charlie Rogan now, you would never know that she was a preemie (although she is still quite small for her age). She is smart and sassy and has DEFINITELY hit the terrible two’s head-on.
6. She loves her brother so much. He loves her too. (If you have followed this blog through my pregnancy with Yates, then you know I wondered how they would interact).
7. I now know that I am a much stronger person than I have ever given myself credit for. Even though we have traveled a bumpy road the past two years, I survived, and I’m a better person because of it.
8. Charlie Rogan could care less about the television. Yates LOVES it.
9. Chicken and French Fries – That is Charlie Rogan’s favorite meal. She even pretends to cook those things for me.
10. When she wants some one to pick her up, she says ‘I want to hold you’.
Ok, I could go on and on. We are thankful and grateful and humble….there are so many people who have kept me sane during the past two years. If I began to name all of those people here, I would sound like I’m accepting an award. So I will just do this….To my family and friends….Thank you…each and every one of you. I would not be who I am today without each one of you. Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone